Nothing feels more cheerful than the smell and colors of springtime. This super quick and easy crochet bunny appliqué free pattern will be great to bring Easter colors to your decoration.
Obviously, every season has its joy, but I love the feeling or revival when it’s time to put up the bright colors of springtime.
These cute bunny silhouettes will be great to apply to hats, blankets, scrapbooks, and cards. They will also make an adorable Easter bunting for your mantel, windows, or your craft room. Not to mention, they can be used as small gifts for kids as well.
This website is reader supported and contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Find my affiliate disclosure here.
Table of Contents
What is a crochet appliqué?
Crochet appliqués, or any form of appliqués, are super small and flat motifs that are used to decorate larger surfaces, such as garments, blankets, and hats. In fact, the word “appliqué” is a French word that means “to apply” or “to put on”.
What can you make with a crochet appliqué?
Crocheted appliqués are useful for many decoration purposes. They make cute hanging ornaments in trees, garlands, wall art and buntings. For instance, this cute crochet bunny appliqué will look great as an Easter bunting.
However, to make them even cuter as a bunting, I recommend that you make them 3D shaped. It’s so easy!
See the written instructions below and a picture of how cute it will look.
Making an Easter bunting with this crochet bunny appliqué
A bunting will be a great decoration accessory for the kids’ room, the mantel, windows, or for your craft room. You can either make them flat or crochet two rabbits and attach them together with a row of single crochet stitches to make it 3D.
Here is how you can do it.
- Crochet two identical pieces using the pattern below, but do not make the tail for the second one. Or make the tail as you attach them with single crochet.
- An alternative to the tail is a pom-pom that you can attach as a finishing touch.
- Put new piece on top of the other matching the shapes and stitches (the one in the bottom will have the wrong side out). Then single crochet around. Do slip stitches in the indentations to keep the rounded shapes prominent.
- At the end, leave a small hole to insert a small amount of stuffing fiber. No need to insert fiber in the ears.
- Keep doing single crochets to finish it and close the opening. Fasten off. Weave in the ends.
- Make lots of them, as many as you need to make a bunting in your desired length.
- Crochet a long chain and attach the rabbits as you go, leaving a space of about 15-20 chains between them.
To make the bunting even more interesting, use add-ons, such as pompoms or buttons. Or you can even make additional appliqués. Such as carrots and Easter eggs and attach them all in a row, alternating them with the rabbits.
The best yarn to make a crochet bunny appliqué
Appliqués are great projects for stash busting. Literally, you can use any kind of scrap yarn you have in your craft drawers. But since they are so small, worsted to lighter weight yarns will work best for them.
For the samples in this pattern, I used worsted weight Red Heart Super Saver and Impeccable by Loops & Threads. See the amount used in the “supplies you need” section below.
You may also like these crochet Easter patterns
While you scroll through this crochet bunny appliqué pattern, take a look at these other cute crochet Easter patterns as well. You may find your next favorite Easter DIY project.
- Classic woven look Easter Basket that you can make with spring colors.
- Cute no sew peeps bunny pattern that will make adorable basket stuffers.
- And lastly, a roundup with 20+ amazing Easter basket patterns, from several great designers.
Supplies you need for a crochet bunny appliqué
- Worsted weight yarn. Approximately 0.15 oz (4.3 g) or 9 yds (8 m) of Impeccable Yarn by Loops & Threads
- 4 mm (US G) crochet hook
- Tapestry needle
- Darker crochet thread (optional)
- Stuffing fiber (optional)
- The level of difficulty for this crochet bunny appliqué pattern is easy.
- This pattern was written using crochet US terminology.
- Chain 3 at the beginning of every round or row count as a double crochet stitch
- As an alternative to the tail, you can add a pom-pom instead of making a puff stitch.
A note on gauge
Gauge is not crucial for this pattern. As a matter of fact, you can make these appliqués as big or as small as you wish. It will all depend on the yarn weight and hook you use.
But for reference, when you make rounds 1 and 2 of the pattern, the approximate size is 2.5” (6.3 cm).
Size of the crochet bunny appliqué
The finished motif, from the bottom to the top of the tallest ear, will measure approximately 5.5” (12.7 cm).
- ch / chs: chain / chains
- dc: double crochet
- dtr3tog: 3 double treble together (see written instructions below)
- hdc: half double crochet
- mc: magic circle
- RS: right side
- Puff st: Puff stitch (see written instructions below
- sc: single crochet
- sl st: slip stitch
- tr: treble stitch together (see written instructions below)
- yo: yarn over
- [ ]: stitch count in a round/row
- *: Repeat instructions after asterisks as directed
Special Stitches Instructions
- Treble Stitch: yo 2 times, insert the hook in the st, yo, pull through, (yo, pull through) 3 times.
- dtr3tog: 3 double treble together (*yo 3 times, insert the hook in the st, yo, pull through, [yo, pull through 2] 3 times, repeat from the * 2 more times in the same st, yo, pull through all 4 loops to complete the st).
- Oversized puff stitch (for the tail): extend the last loop in your hook to about half an inch, *yo, insert the hook in the top of last dc st, yo, pull through, repeat from the * 6 more times, yo pull though all the loops, ch 1, sl st in same dc st.
Crochet bunny appliqué pattern
This crochet bunny appliqué pattern is very easy and it’s done in only one piece. Meaning you don’t have to cut the yarn as you go. See instructions above on how to make them into a 3D bunny and on how to create a cute Easter bunting.
Total Time: 5 minutes
Create a magic circle
As an alternative to the magic circle, you can ch 4 and then do 11 dc sts in the 4th ch from the hook.
Crochet the first round
Round 1 (RS): ch 3 + 11 dc in the magic ring, join to ch 3 with a sl st.
Crochet the 2nd round and make the tail
Round 2 (RS): (ch 3, dc) in 1st st, 2 dc in each of next 3 sts, dc and crochet a puff st on top of this dc st to make the tail (see special stitch notes section), dc in the same st, 2 dc in each remaining st, join with a sl st [24 dc]
Note: when you finish the puff stitch for the tail, push it to pop to the right side using your fingers.
Crochet the head
Ch 3, dc in same st as ch 3, 2 dc in next st, 2 tr in next st, dtr3tog in next st.
See “special stitches instructions” above for the tr and dtr3tog written instructions.
Crochet the ears
(ch 9, dc in 4th ch from the hook, dc in each of next 4 chs, hdc in last ch, sl st on top of the dtr3tog st) 2 times.
Embroider the eyes (optional)
Would you like to give your crochet bunny appliqué some expression? Thread a tapestry needle with darker yarn and embroider little eyes. For that, just a few stitches will do it.
Another option is to use small decorative buttons or beads.
FO. Cut the yarn. Weave in the ends.
If you want to transform your appliqués into a cute bunting, see the section “making an Easter bunting” with thewritten instructions above.
Estimated Cost: 5.00 USD
- Worsted weight yarn
- Darker crochet thread (optional)
- 4 mm (US G) crochet hook
Materials: Scissors Tapestry needle Small beads (optional) Stuffing fiber (optional)
There you have the pattern for this cute crochet bunny appliqué. This is such a quick, simple and adorable way to decorate your home for spring.
Drop a comment below if you have any questions or if you just would like to say “hi”. Another way to reach out to me is by joining my community group on Facebook.