Let’s get ready for warm weather, shall we? It’s never too early to get started with your warm weather projects. So, here are 25 best crochet top free patterns for you to make this summer. I’ve included each one of them with convenience and simplicity in mind.
I wanted to give you some beginner-friendly pattern options, but still with the addition of sophistication and style. Something that you will have fun making and will love to wear.
Whether you’re looking for a more casual top to wear in the warmer summer evenings, to go out for dinner with friends. Or a minimal shaped crop top to wear at the beach. This list is for you.
This website is reader supported and contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Find my affiliate disclosure here.
Materials and supplies for summer crochet tops
You will need only some basic supplies and tools to crochet a top. Still, it’s important that you read over the “materials and supplies” section on each pattern in the list of crochet top free patterns below. That way you won’t miss the exact materials you need. Here is a list of what you will usually need.
- Lighter weight yarns
- Crochet hook
- Stitch markers (not crucial, but very helpful)
- A measuring tape or ruler
- Tapestry needle
The crochet top free patterns list is here
Here are some frequently asked questions
What’s are the best yarns for summer crochet tops?
Follow these tips and tricks about the type of yarn for most patterns in the list of crochet top free patterns.
1. Fine (#2), light (#3), and worsted (#4) weight yarns will work better for summer tops.
2. As for the fiber content, the plant-based ones, like cotton and bamboo, are the ideal content because they are breathable and cool.
3. Cotton and bamboo are drapey, therefore very good for comfort and style. As well as durable and easy to care for. Since crochet tops are made for the warmer seasons, you need to keep all of that in mind.
4. Crochet tops are garments that need to be light and comfortable. For that reason, the lighter the yarn, the more comfortable your top will be.
5. But remember, there are good quality acrylic yarns out there that are suitable for tops as well. However, it’s important to remember that acrylic tends to get warmer than cotton, or bamboo, in the heat.
If you have a super warm summer in your corner of the world, I advise you to go with cotton these two last options.
How much yarn do you need to crochet a top?
All tops in this list of crochet top free patterns are pretty simple and take a small to moderate amount of yarn. A crop top, like the Leila Tie Strap, will take about 306 yards (280 m) for the small size, to 1072 yards for the 3XL size, of worsted weight (4) yarn.
However, if you’re making a tee top or a t-shirt style top, you will use a lot more yarn. The Sweet Summer top in this list, for example, takes 865 yards for the XS size to 1350 for the 5X size. This one calls for light (3) weight yarn.
As you can see, the amount of yarn varies significantly depending on the pattern, the size, and the shape of the project. As well as on the thickness of the yarn.
Another factor that may influence in the amount of yarn also is the kind of fiber you will choose. Let’s say the pattern calls for 100% cotton and you are using cotton/merino blend, it could make a difference as well.
Recommended patterns and tutorials
- 10 Best Crochet Animal Kits For Beginners
- 25 Most Beautiful Crochet Flower Bouquet Patterns
- 10 Best Crochet Butterfly Top Patterns in 2023
Tips for crocheting tops if you are a beginner
The secret for success in any crochet project lies in a few decisions we need to make before we start. But with crochet garments, there are a few extra steps we need to take.
I hope these tips will be helpful for you.
Tip #1 Choose an easy pattern
If you have never crocheted a top before, you won’t get frustrated with your project if you choose the right pattern. With that said, here are a few important tips to choose a pattern that you will love.
This list of crochet top free patterns has the perfect projects for you, even if you have never made a top before. But here are some tips for you to choose an easy patter, if you’re looking elsewhere.
- First, check the kind of yarn that the pattern calls for. Then, go check online if you can order that yarn easily. If not, try to look for a substitution, but with the same weight and fiber. There’s even a website for that, just google “yarn substitution” and it will pop right up.
- Look for a pattern that calls for yarn weight 2 and above. Yarns that are lighter than that will take you much longer to work with, especially if you are a beginner. And that could be frustrating.
- Choose a simple pattern with basic stitches. Anything with chains, single crochet, double crochet, and half double crochet, or a combination of those, will be perfect.
- Lastly, avoid patterns with a complicated construction. The ones that are made with multiple separate sections, and call for a lot of hand sewing, could get discouraging easily.
Tip #2 Crochet a gauge swatch
Is there anything more disappointing than crocheting a garment that ends up being twice your size? Ask me how I know it.
So, as soon as you decide on your pattern, the next most important thing to do is to check your gauge. Assuming you already know what size to make. Remember, a good pattern will always have a section with gauge information.
- Let’s say the gauge section in the pattern states, 10 dc x 8 rows = 4”. The next thing you want to do is get the right yarn, a hook, and a ruler.
- Then, you will crochet at least 15 chains and 10 back-and-forth rows with double crochet. Net, you will measure it and make sure it’s a match, 10 dc x 8 rows = 4”.
- However, if you can’t get the gauge numbers to match with the pattern, don’t sweat it. Try a different hook size or adjust your tension accordingly.
- Lastly, take measurements and try it on as you go.
Tip #3 Take breaks and have fun
Crochet tops are quicker to make than sweaters, of course. But they are projects that still require attention to some details and that take time.
Choosing the right pattern and the right supplies will take a lot of the stress out of the way.
As for the rest of the process, it will be so exciting to be able to make something for yourself. But don’t forget to take breaks and make it fun.
In case you make a mistake, and you if you have to frog it, it’s okay. We’ve all been there. It’s part of the process, and that’s the beauty of handmade.
The bottom line
There you have the list of crochet top free patterns. I hope I didn’t make it too hard for you to decide, with so many beautiful options. In case you are in doubt, don’t forget to pin it to your Pinterest boards so you can make them later.
Crops are fun to crochet and they make great projects for your first garment. The reason they are great beginner projects is because they are small and usually don’t require a lot of sewing.
Drop a comment below if you have any questions or if you just would like to say “hi”. Another way to reach out to me is by joining my community group on Facebook.